History of the search
When the Board received the estimated costs of renovating and expanding our current facility, $4.2 million, it was their decision, as the fiduciary representative of the church, to enter into a search for a possible new location to present to the congregation that may better meet our needs and be more cost effective. It was their belief that to give the members options was in the best interest of the community. To that end we contracted with Charlotte Hollkamp, Mark Helms business partner, to guide us in the search.
Charlotte helps the Board review a number of options, including purchasing property and building a new home, renovating existing non church locations that we would adapt to meet the community needs, as well as a number of existing, though vacant, church properties. Each option Chrarlotte presented had a number of pros and cons but in the end the Board did not believe, for a number of reasons including cost, parking, access, accessibility, and maintenance issues, any of the options meet our needs. The Board toured 5-6 locations and reviewed at least 30 different properties. The one property the Board toured that met most of the criteria was…
Melbourne Heights Baptist Church-3728 Taylorsville Road, Louisville, Kentucky 40220. The facility has 42,000 sq feet of space in three separate buildings, two commercial graded kitchens, a existing day care center, a 500 seat sanctuary and an additional chapel space for at least 100, up to date audio and video capability, ample parking, and classroom and meeting spaces to meet all existing and planned needs.
- Easy access centrally located off 264 and Taylorsville Road
- Ample Parking
- Large fully remodeled sanctuary located on the first floor for easy access
- Sanctuary wired for both audio and video
- Multiple contracts, including an existing 100+ student day care, that provides additional income
- Additional classroom and activity spaces to allow a variety of services and programs as well as opportunities to rent space for meetings and events
- Fully accessible building with elevator and bathrooms
- Two commercial kitchens
- Well lighted and diverse neighborhood
- A separate out building has the possibilities for a variety of uses
- A separate single family home that is a source of additional income
- The purchase would require Unity of Louisville to take on a substantial mortgage, at least temporarily, to complete the purchase
- The current purchase price is still under negotiation
- Disruption of service and programming that any move would cause
- Large space and more then we currently need or use
- For some the distance to the facility would be significant
- The cost of moving, both financial and physical, would be significant
- The emotional cost of leaving a Spiritual Home we have grown to love and make our own.